MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY HOLIDAYS 2022

we touched this same spot with our hands, our feet, our gaze and our dreams

Friday, March 16, 2007

Japan: Tales from the Toilet

Andrea Sachs

I just returned from two weeks in Japan and whenever I am asked about my trip, I seem to skip over the Buddhist temples, fresh udon noodles and Zen gardens and go straight to . . . the toilet.

To be sure, Japan has endless charms and attractions. I will forever be changed by the A-bomb lessons of Hiroshima, and I made so many wishes at Shinto shrines, the gods surely will be busy for the next decade. However, if I could bring back one souvenir, it would be the Toto toilet.

Trust me, these are not mere rings of white porcelain. The thrones, which blink and hum, are pervasive; I found them at the Hyatt in Kyoto, a McDonald's in Tokyo and every restroom in between. The simplest models have pleasantly heated seats, a nice toasty touch when you're freezing your butt off sightseeing. With the press of a button, you can transform the toilet into a bidet, with varying fountain abilities. Or skip the toilet paper and try a fan dry instead. There is even a soundtrack that evokes a washing machine in its final cycle. The swishing sound is so calming, others might start banging on the bathroom door for a turn.

Oddly enough, the stalls labeled as "Japanese" offer little more than an upscale hole in the ground. The toilets called "Western" have the high-tech gadgetry. A word of advice to Japan: Take credit for this innovation. In the West, we're just happy when there is TP.

Any other toilet tips out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment